Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Film Studies Evaluation

Film Studies Evaluation

Throughout this unit I have analysed three different theorists and looked at how they impact cinema and help create more meaning behind scenes in films constructed with a purpose. The theorists I have looked at were: Freud and his Id, the Ego and the Superego theory, Mulvey and her male gaze theory and Lacan and his theory on Lack and Desire. Studying these theories I have discovered how they can influence the narrative and themes of films. When looking at Mulvey and Lacan i briefly looked over key scenes in transformers and the wolf of wall street making sure that i talk about the significance of the link between the theories and the text i was analysing. The theory I chose to analyse deeper was Freud's Id the Ego and the Superego theory, in doing this I looked at the film "Fight club" and analysed how the thematic elements and the mise en scene of the film link with Freud's theory and how both of these play into each other it does this through its portrayal of its characters in each scene with one character usually representing an element of this theory. This links to the narrative point of this film that Tyler is the Narrator, this goes with the idea of the theory that the Id, the Ego and the Super Ego are all apart of a single personality, “Although each part of the personality comprises unique features, they interact to form a whole, and each part makes a relative contribution to an individual's behaviour.”(Saul McLeod, 2019) Therefore this supports my statement that the film uses technical and visual significance to portray this theory as it uses its thematic narrative to portray the key ideas of this theory, as I have talked about during this essay. Looking back on this unit the things i would like to do differently are maybe using more books for my research and spend longer analysing some scenes when referring to my research as I believe i could have improved on my Lacan and Mulvey scene analysis, when moving onwards from this unit I will make sure I put in enough time on my individual research making sure the sources i gather are all from professional and legitimate places.


Reference List

McLeod, S., (2019) Id, Ego and Superego [Online]
Available from:

No comments:

Post a Comment